Founded by MIT atmospheric scientists, aerospace executives, UAV lighter-than-air engineers, and an advisory board comprised of world experts in remote sensing and environmental research.
The Solar Falcon™ is a major, inexpensive technology breakthrough in persistent remote sensing, surveillance, and telecommunication that fills the gap between satellites and low altitude drones/aircraft.
- First commercial high altitude vehicle of this class
- Delivering unprecedented portability, low cost, flight speed and payload capability
- Enabling completely new surveillance, communication and imaging solutions
The Solar Falcon is a high-altitude (>20km), mobile, solar-powered, loitering (months) pseudo-satellite that uses the latest breakthroughs in materials, batteries and sensors
- Highly portable; fits into a standard shipping container
- Launch from anywhere (Semi-trailer or Ship) – reaches 20 km altitude within 1 hr
- Solar Powered; Stays aloft for month(s)
- Speed of 100 km/hr average – reaches target areas up to 2400 km away within a day
- Sensor Suite: 250 kg and > 60 kW (day)
- Persistent surveillance of 10,000 km² area with 1 meter resolution, revisit 2.5 hrs
- Selected area resolution, 10 cm with video as needed
Four experienced aerospace and satellite executives and atmospheric scientists, with close MIT connections formed TWAi to bring new technology to bear on remote sensing, surveillance and telecommunication. The founders, A.T. Stair/CEO, Paul Joss/CTO, Jack Carpenter, and George Lauro/Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors, have a vision of developing a low-cost, near-space (lighter-than- air) platform, Solar Falcon™ as a key element. Such platforms can bring much better accuracy to the measurement of the intensity of hurricanes and prediction of tracks and damage using Solar Falcons as one of the goals. In addition, such a unique platform can be a game changer for many other applications in remote sensing and communication.
Additional TWAi Team
In addition to a number of scientists and engineers joining TWAi at its inception and other recent additions, Yves Leblicq and Jean Genest, both very experienced aviation and UAV executives, joined us as President and Vice- President, respectively, of our subsidiary, Solar Falcon™, Inc. Ilya Schiller, with critical expertise in entrepreneurial management and technical skills, joined us as President.